Mick's Workshop

• Hello fellow content creators and content users!

Here I want to introduce the assets and their creation process I am working on. I do not intend to keep this thread synchronised with the one here, but it might have similar subjects,

Most of my assets are models of European or German origin from the 19th or 20th century. I often hear from users of other parts of the world that they like my content but naturally they can not use them in their maps. An old German house barely fits onto an US map.

Maybe you can support me with drawings, sketches or photos of items of the above mentioned era. And if I can 'fell in love' with them I might do them.

mick1960!

One of the painful signs of years of dumbed-down education is how many people are unable to make a coherent argument. They can vent their emotions, question other people’s motives, make bold assertions, repeat slogans—anything except reason.“ (Thomas Sowell)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mick1960 ()

• WIP:Derrick Crane / Hafenkran 1838

This model is based on a sketch first published in 'Dinglers polytechnisches Journal' volume 69 / 1838

This sketch is the only existing drawing of this kind of crane of that period and republished in other journals over and over

Blick vom Bahnhofsturm

One of the painful signs of years of dumbed-down education is how many people are unable to make a coherent argument. They can vent their emotions, question other people’s motives, make bold assertions, repeat slogans—anything except reason.“ (Thomas Sowell)

• Derrick Crane / Hafenkran Bamberg 1864

This crane still exists and can be found in the city of Bamberg Germany. It was build in 1864 by the company J.W.Spaeth

You can download this asset here ore as usual on the DLS.

In most cases I try to create three versions of any asset with different texture map sizes 2048 / 1024 /512 equals HT / NT / LT, so look out for the version suitable for you.

To make it easier for other content creators I always include the FBX files into all my assets. You may alter them as you wish according the licence included in the config.txt.

Am Tramdepot

• WIP:Derrick Crane / Hafenkran 1838

Mapping and render to texture finished:

Derrick Crane / Hafenkran 1838

• Harbour crane / Hafenkran Heilbronn 1845

This crane still exists in the city Heilbronn and is in the first place the reason why I am in the moment hooked on this subject. I found some photos. The problem are naturally the exact measurements.

So I started an extensive research which is finally very successful. In the year 1995 Peter Biba wrote his diploma thesis about this crane. A part of his diploma are 24 drawings. With his help I could connect with town archive Heilbronn who still has these drawings and made them available to me.

So this is the first start building this crane, the cogwheels two and three from the drawing sheet 0012:

Derrick crane / Hafenkran Heilbronn 1845

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mick1960 ()

The outrigger from drawing sheet 22:

Harbour crane / Hafenkran Heilbronn 1845

The brake from drawing sheet 20

20120831_18

Start assembling the parts

• You're a labour type I think

I think you might be right, since 41 years I am a craftsman with heart and soul. I suppose it is reflected in my models...

The turning mechanism is partially ready:

20120831_56